Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hydrangeas on a Black Door


Hello everyone!
While shopping a few weeks back I found the hydrangeas in a tin pail at Kirklands. Loved the sage green satin ribbon tied to hold the pail flat against the door. I needed something new(you know how that is) and had bought a spring wreath but it just didn’t show up on the black door to my surprise! Maybe because I only had the wreath out as my start of spring decorating on the porch.
Front porch 2013 003
Front porch 2013 002
Now the white rocker is out and a pillow placed on it, see the green pot by the rocker? I found that at Dollar General  a month or so ago and should have bought two…
Front porch 2013 008
For the past couple years I’ve been buying pansies at the beginning of the spring season, my mom loved them and had told me that her maternal grandparents had raised them and sold them. Here is a picture of my grandmother, Rondell and the pansies that her parents grew, I’m thinking this is about 1915/16.
Front porch 2013 012
Front porch 2013 004

Planted in a $2.00 yardsale container, thank goodness they have started up again.
Front porch 2013 010
Speaking of yardsales, I found this pail at at one for .25, painted a chalkboard square on it and my fav number 7.

Front porch 2013 005
Wrought iron stand from Lowe’s!

Front porch 2013 006

Here’s the wreath I bought, very springy but just doesn’t show up on the black door!
This is on the inside of the door, maybe some ribbon? lol
Front porch 2013 011
I’ll be joining these parties:




19 comments:

Leslie Harris said...

Wow the silver looks sharp and so pretty against the black door. And what a wonderful photo of your Grandma with the pansies. Yes, you definitely have to keep up the family flower tradition! And pansies have such sweet little petals too. :) I wish I could paint my front door black, it looks stately and elegant.
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

Unknown said...

That looks wonderful against your door-did you put something on the back of the pail so it wouldn't rub on the door? Love that pic of your grandmother with her
flowers.
Happy Hump day.

NanaDiana said...

I love pansies sweet little faces. What a great old photo of your grandmother. I really need to get to Kirklands. Love what you found there. Great post- xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I love pansies sweet little faces. What a great old photo of your grandmother. I really need to get to Kirklands. Love what you found there. Great post- xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I love pansies sweet little faces. What a great old photo of your grandmother. I really need to get to Kirklands. Love what you found there. Great post- xo Diana

Gail said...

That is a lovely picture of your grandmother! Love the pail with the hydrangeas on your front door. I love hydrangeas! Enjoy your evening, Gail

NanaDiana said...

I love pansies sweet little faces. What a great old photo of your grandmother. I really need to get to Kirklands. Love what you found there. Great post- xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I love pansies sweet little faces. What a great old photo of your grandmother. I really need to get to Kirklands. Love what you found there. Great post- xo Diana

Gina said...

I love the silver pail of flowers on the door. It's so pretty and it's nice to see something different!

ANNE said...

How fabulous that you have that photo!! Love that.

and I love your door and your pansies and your planters. Great look.

xox

cynthia lee designs said...

Hi Rondell,
Your porch looks great!! Love the old photo of your grandmother. I want to put some things out on my porch, but I've been worried too. This past Fall and at Christmas time...everything that we put out was being taken overnight. We lived here for 20 years and never had a problem until recently. I used to love to go to Kirklands, but all of them closed around here.
hugs,
Cindy

Christine at Little Brags said...

love your porch!!!!

Maria said...

How pretty and what a great alternative to a traditional wreath. Beautiful!

Kadee Willow said...

Thank you so much for sharing your family history regarding pansies! I loved reading about it and then seeing the photo. I'm so glad that you have that! My mother has always loved pansies, too, and every time I see them planted at the beginning of the season, I am reminded of her love for them.

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I love the silver pail on the door. Thanks for sharing your story of your grandmother, so precious! New Follower.

Jody

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

The pail with flowers is adorable! My mother always planted Pansies and I have carried on the tradition. Thanks for joining the Open House Party and I am a new follower.
Hugs,
Sherry

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love the sweet photo of your grandmother and your spring porch! It is finally getting warm here and I can hardly wait to have some pansies! I've been catching up with your blog and see you are making some changes...I think blogs are always evolving, because WE are always evolving. I'm looking forward to seeing where you want to go...I remember when you changed over from your primitive blog!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Love that bucket with the hydrangeas -- it looks fabulous on your black door!

Dede said...

Very nice!!