Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sofa Covered with No Sew Dropcloths


I don’t know if I’m the first to ever do this but I thought you may want to know how I bought drop cloths from Lowes and covered my sofa with them, maybe  you have a sofa that you are tired of and would like to try it too.
My sofa is blue denim and more then 10 years old and it’s still going strong, in fact I don’t think it will ever wear out! I’m tired of the blue so I decided to cover it with a slipcover BUT my sofa is so big 96” long and that’s the problem I have with it. The only slipcover that would fit is from Pottery Barn at $179.00… not happening!!!
I knew there had to be a way to deal with this problem, I just had to figure it out! So I bought the largest drop cloth that Lowes had, it cost about $25.00 and (I’ve washed it about 3 times so it’s starting to get soft.) threw it over my couch, immediately I liked the off white look. Then the other day I happened to find that I had a smaller dropcloth in my stash and wondered if I could use it to cover just the seat cushions. here’s how it turned out!
You can see how huge the arms are!
Livingroom 2013 005
You can see how I covered the seat cushions with the drop cloth I found.
Livingroom 2013 002
My husband lays on the sofa almost every evening and all I have to do is smooth it out, doesn’t really come out of where I have it tucked in!
Livingroom 2013 003
I think it has pulled the livingroom together and it only cost me $25.00!
Livingroom 2013 009_thumb[3]
Here is my diningroom without the bookcase in it. Gives us a lot more room.
Livingroom 2013 007
I also changed the top of my step back cupboard…change is good:)
Livingroom 2013 010

Thanks for stopping by, we are going out to dinner tonight then to a Valentine’s dance Saturday night. Thank goodness the blizzard has missed us but I’m thinking of you that are in the New England states, we have relatives there, so stay safe!
I’ll be joining these fantastic parties:
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Show and Tell @ My Romantic Home
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Fabulously Creative Friday @ Jennifer Rizzo
Feathered Nest Friday @ The French Country Cottage
Be Inspired @ Common Ground


Rondell

18 comments:

Christine at Little Brags said...

what an awesome idea, how did you ever come up with that??? thanks for sharing...I also stared a little Blog a few weeks ago.... would love all the input and tips I can get....
Please stop by if you get a chance. Thanks in advance
http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your slipcovers look fabulous!

Kathy

Rita said...

what a brilliant idea!
i have the same problem with my sofa as it has got a high back and is very long, so no way to buy a slipcover unless i have it made professionally. too bad we do not have drop cloth in italy otherwise i'd steal your idea!
rita

Gail said...

Your dropcloths slip covers looks great Rondell. You living room is beautiful! Enjoy your weekend, Gail

ANNE said...

It looks great Rondell!

So nice to change things up, isn't it?

Blondie's Journal said...

Rondell...this looks just awesome! I love drop cloth and have a ton of it that I bought at a little Mom & Pop hardware store. I'm always looking for ways to use it! And I love, love, love your dining room! So pretty!!

Have a wonderful Saturday night out! :)

XO,
Jane

Kristel said...

You do realize this room looks like it came out straight from the PB magazine, right? Not a bad problem to have :) I love how it's turned out. I have a "slipcovered" couch in our living room, love the look, but the slipcover is non removable, and I have been contemplating getting something for it to change the color (it's a light green color) I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it, but would love to do something like this.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

If you have a Big Lots they have drop cloths, a 4 ft x 15 ft for $15.
All my furniture is covered with them because of the cats : )
they wash up so nicely as well as looking great.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I really like the new look. we also have a slipcover for our sofa. we bought some inexpensive upholstery tacks that you can "screw" in the sofa. keeps it in place with 3 climing monkeys

Woodside Park said...

What a great idea! I was thinking of having slipcovers made for our TV room sofa. This is so much easier and less expensive!

chateau chic said...

Drop cloths made a great transformation for your sofa. I love easy ways to make a change for a new look.
Mary Alice

Meeha Meeha said...

What can I say?! Your sofa looks like a dreamy place in a magazine, right now! The linen has great texture and flows around the shape of the sofa - I also love the pillows! PS: I've done something similar when I staged a fried's house for sale - it looked even better than the real thing!

Anonymous said...

I like the lighter look of your room. Years ago, we used to use quilts or sheets to update an old couch but were always adjusting things. The drop cloths would have been easier, espeically when using two like you did. However,that was way before blogging, so there were no great ideas from people like you!

Brandi said...

Such an inexpensive, but nice solution! I love the look of the drop cloths on your couch.

Kat's Purrfect Boutique said...

I'm amazed at how well the drop cloth looks. I'm running out and getting one too. My couch is 20 years old and we have a beige one that never fit right and looks gross. For about $25 is my kind of budget, at least till I figure out what changes I want in my living room.

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

I use the covers too
Love it not crazy about having to get neat again
I think I had the same denim so I like the color of the cover
Laura

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

They look really good and I so need to make slipcovers for my sofa's. I've used dropcloths for winter curtains and they do a good job!

NanaDiana said...

I love using dropcloths for projects like that. I have made a few slipcovers using them for hassocks and such. They also make great table runners and curtains to screen things off. Great job on your cover! It looks great, Rondell. xo Diana